Friday 25 April 2014

Early Days

As written on 26/3/2014

Dearest Ruby,
        We emptied our green china apple of all its £2 coins and found we had a tidy sum.


So, off we went to the garden centre. I felt sure we'd find a rose. Indeed. a Ruby Rambler and then a Cherry Tree called Ruby.


 
 
Names took on a significance we aimed for, though I particularly liked the Willow and Grandad chose the Cowslips. So, a few of our favourites found their way in there too. Some bring back childhood memories of my own, a field covered in cowslips neighbouring our home.

   
 
 
        We had some rocks in our garden I knew, so I loved the idea of creating your very own rock garden. We chose Peter Pan and Little Treasure along with another couple of alpines to grow in the crevices.
        Goodness me, those rocks were heavy. I tried to lift them on my own. One at a time, into the wheelbarrow, which had seen better days. The rock, each one, nearly went through the rusted metal. I had to wheel the barrow backwards up the garden to the path but oh dear, a mishap occurred, I fell over a flower bed and landed on Grandad's raspberry bushes, legs in the air. I had to laugh at myself whilst no-one else was looking !
   
 
 
  We couldn't resist the little bird bath Ruby, which I stood on a tile, and surrounded the base with pebbles from the old pond. Its very satisfying to reclaim pieces otherwise made redundant. The tiles are a stack of rather good quality left over from our new kitchen we did in our little house we had in Sedbergh. I don't suppose they thought they'd ever land up in Ruby's garden!


 
 
        My work of digging and weeding is done for today. There are foxgloves to keep and are they marigolds?

Love and hugs, Nana x

No comments:

Post a Comment